Welcome to my World

I'm a lover of music and I'm a lover of words. I may come across as sarcastic, cynical and pathetic; it's okay if you think that, because that's how I roll. I've been alive since the 17th of November 1993; I've been a Vegetarian since the 19th of May 2008. Stephen Fry, in my young eyes, is God. (You can find an old monologue of his somewhere on the right-hand side of this page.)

Sit back, relax, take a leap right out of your world. It'll only take a minute of your time. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

13 August, 2009

The Shifter's Series.

A few months back, I discovered a book called Stray by Rachel Vincent. The cover caught me as it's really interesting and featured a female with four claw marks on her lower back. My curiosity had me hooked to it, so I had to check it out. I'd finished reading the Twilight Saga and then I'd read another Chuck Palahniuk book before moving onto a new book. (I usually do this since I aim to read all of his books.)

I really liked how Stephanie Meyer had created a new kind of werewolf and vampire, very much unlike the ones that feature in a lot of books and films. I liked this new idea of them; vampires trying not to be murderous people and werewolves just being very large wolves that can hear the thoughts of their prides other members. Yes, vampires and werewolves seem to be childish subject matter, but they're not. It all depends on how you depict them, you may be using them as a methaphor.

These books are not childish. They aren't exactly The God Delusion or The Mayor Of Casterbridge, but they aren't Jacqueline Wilson either! They left me thirsty for more books featuring fictional species that weren't so stereotypical that they made me feel sick, and because of that, I was in search of good books with preferably werewolves in.

This book cover suggested that to me, but I was in for a very pleasant surprise and little did I realise at the time that I had just stumbled upon the exact thing I was looking for. Stray, book one of the Shifter's series by Rachel Vincent, is about werecats. I know, I'd never heard of them either, and because of that, my blood pumped and my jaw clenched with excitement.

The series is about Faythe Sanders who's father, Greg Sanders, is the pride's Alpha, their pride being the largest. They are all werecats, but as the series name suggests, they take the form of people and then shift into these huge black panther-like cats. The Alpha is the head of their area (pride) and they have many enforcers. They have many children as a Tabby is the only way that the pride can continue, however tabbies are rare hence them having so many brothers. Whoever Faythe marrys will go on to become the Alpha of the Pride, therefor he has to be a fellow werecat.

There are other cats apart from Pride cats. There are strays, rogues and wildcats, but pride cats are the most influencial and the only ones who have a system complete with politics.

After Stray, there's Rogue, Pride and then Prey. I finished reading Pey the other night and could barely keep the tears in. I cried all night and morning since my all time favourite fictional character ever was brutally murdered. I still can't talk about it without welling up. What can I say? I get emotionally attatched to books like this!

I highly recommend them to any girl who's read Twilight and enjoyed it, and maybe it captures a certain percentage of the Magician's Guild readers. Both Rachel Vincent and Trudi Canavan have a flowwing writing style that can hardly be faultered. Consider Yourself Told!

Kindest Regards,
Stripes xy

stray: werecats book 1  rachel vincent Pictures, Images and Photosrogue: werecats book 2  rachel vincent Pictures, Images and Photospride: werecats book 3  rachel vincent Pictures, Images and Photosprey: werecats book 4  rachel vincent Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

  1. Great review! Werecats? I can imagine my cats turning into humans once a month, at least two of them... There seems to be a kind of were-thing and vampire craze coming on, what with Twilight, Being Human and all of the books. I dunno what's so attractive about them, but I do kind of like them, especially vampires. It's a pity those books have got pictures of girls on them, otherwise I might read them!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete