Welcome to my World

I'm a lover of music and I'm a lover of words. I may come across as sarcastic, cynical and pathetic; it's okay if you think that, because that's how I roll. I've been alive since the 17th of November 1993; I've been a Vegetarian since the 19th of May 2008. Stephen Fry, in my young eyes, is God. (You can find an old monologue of his somewhere on the right-hand side of this page.)

Sit back, relax, take a leap right out of your world. It'll only take a minute of your time. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

31 October, 2009

Just A Monolgue

Okay, so I was in Drama the other day and we were all told to write a monologue from someone during the Miner's Strike in around 5 minutes. I chose to do one from the old lady, because I like to write as old people, but at the same time it's hard to know what old people would've thought about the Miner's Strike since it was 25 years ago and they'd all be dead now. Anywho, I took inspiration from Sara Goldfarb in Hubert Selby Jr's 'Requiem For A Dream' and from a few old ladies that I've seen and spoken to. I nearly cried writing it since I put myself in the same mindset as the character. Sorry the introduction to it is longer than the actual thing itself! Here it is:
"Oh John, if only you could see how bright the silver candlesticks are shining. I cleaned them just for you. I only wish that David would think more of you. He's involved in that strike... I'm telling you John, if people had seen what you and I went through with the war they'd stop this silly nonsense. Oh, the kettle just went off. I'm making tea; milk and one suger, just as you'd like it. I remember, you use to say, "Oh Barbara, you're sweet enough!" John, I miss you. I got a cat to warm your side of the bed, but it's not the same. It eats more than you ever did and I'm allergic to it."
Kindest Regards,
Tofu xy

2 comments:

  1. That is so lovely! It's a bit upsetting though!Just the thing for drama!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I love how you don't actually say that John has gone but it becomes more and more obvious as you read it. I like the bit with the cat! Well done!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete