Welcome to my World

I'm a lover of music and I'm a lover of words. I may come across as sarcastic, cynical and pathetic; it's okay if you think that, because that's how I roll. I've been alive since the 17th of November 1993; I've been a Vegetarian since the 19th of May 2008. Stephen Fry, in my young eyes, is God. (You can find an old monologue of his somewhere on the right-hand side of this page.)

Sit back, relax, take a leap right out of your world. It'll only take a minute of your time. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

17 March, 2009

Questioning a Theory

People in the same family are related by blood and "blood is thicker than water" says that family ("blood") relations are more important than relations with friends. Example: "When my best friend and my brother got in a fight I had to help my brother; blood is thicker than water." "Blood is thicker than water" compares the thickness of blood (family relationship) to the thickness of water (friendships) and says that our family relations are more important ("thicker") than all others. Example: "Friends will come and friends will go but your family is always there for you; blood is thicker than water." Family relations (blood) are more important (thicker) than other relations (water) so "blood is thicker than water."

- http://www.goenglish.com/BloodIsThickerThanWater.asp

My cat (Santi) is staring through the window at the cat next door. He may be completely unaware that he's staring straight at his own mother... Santi was born next door and was then brought to my house the moment he hit the age that he needs to be before taken by his mother by law.

This depressing scene has made me wonder something, this something questions a theory which parents and siblings that have done something wrong, always say to someone related to them. They say: Blood is Thicker Than Water.

To be honest, I've never questioned it before. Neither did I sit down and think about it, I just accepted it. Of course, I tried to argue when it was used against me, however in my heart I thought it to be true.

What about now? Do I still consider it right? Well, after Santi's display, I only consider ir right to the extent of mankind. For a lion, it's his pride not his family. For a human, it's what he knows to be his blood.

What do I mean? Well if a child grew up thinking that Yannis was his Dad and it turned out that Kevin was his Dad... Who would he save in the event of a drink driver? Of course, there's the chance that he'd want to know about his past, his family background, his roots. Yet if he chose his biological father, he'd loose out on all the lifetime of memories, the bonds that were built up were be destroyed, his true role model would be nothing but a corpse.

Yes, I know it's depressing and yes, I know it's a freak occurance if this actually happened, but please, just think about it. Is blood always thicker than water?

Kindest Regards,

Potato xy

5 comments:

  1. My mother never believed in that old saying. She used to say, "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family".

    ReplyDelete
  2. in my opinion i would save Yannis the adopted dad not the biological one if i was about 18 the bonds that would have been built up by then would be stronger than the bonds between the biological father that had just been meet. i also think in my opinion that Blood is thicker than water but only some times in certain situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that saying is a laod of shite. If u dont like your family, and are like dont get on your friends are your family instead. I certainly think that i would rather die for a mate then a member of my family. except my grandfather he is just awsome. in some situations yes that saying would work. But mostly i wouldnt give it a second thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think blood is thicker than water. Mainly because you should try and preserve your own genetic line... Besides, everyone dies in the end... Gosh! That really is depressing!

    Although, on the other hand, your friends can become your family in a way... Perhaps they can be closer to you that you're actual family in they're own strange way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool blog Sophie! I like all the stuff about life and that. I think to really solve this problem someone should put a bit of blood into a bowl of water and see if it floats.
    Just a thought.
    P.S. Can you see my profile, cause even though I edited it, it won't show with me.

    ReplyDelete